Sunday, December 21, 2014

Rough Week Over

Ah. the Christmas party.  The antithesis of what people look for when they are trying to lose weight and maintain fitness.  It's been that kind of week for me, with four Christmas parties to attend, due to my participation in work, Scouts, and my church.  I realize that I have control over what I eat at these events, but at the same time, it's good to cut loose once in a while.

Of course, it's also better to save up some room before you cut loose, which didn't happen much this week..  A rough schedule at work prevented both decently-long morning workouts and evening workouts until Friday, and the parties didn't help on the intake end.  That said, I did drop about a half pound this week, and feel like I've got some momentum. 

Why, you ask?  Well, for one thing, I gave up soda and have been substituting water, and frankly, it hasn't been hard.  Also, my running is still improving, and although I'm only getting in a few miles of running or biking a day, I am still getting it done.

Now that I've kicked soda, my next target is sugar, mainly in the form of desserts and sweets.  This one is going to be a bit harder, for a lot of reasons.  For one thing, I'm a cookie monster - I just love them, and even started a blog last year centered on cookies.  For another, I find that there aren't many substitutes for sweets, especially in the first few days of forming a new habit.  The last time I tried this, I switched to nuts, but they're high in fat, which isn't much better.

But hey - now I'm off for Christmas vacation, including a trip down to my mother's house (the source of another food fiesta) and then up to Vermont for a week of skiing, snowshoeing, At the end of this, I may choose to run a 50K before I go into a month-long intense period at work.  This period was the cause of a 10-pound gain in October, so my defenses  need to be up and strong, and I need a good head start

No comments:

Post a Comment