Sunday, December 7, 2014

Long Run cut short - for good reason

As week one of this short endeavor comes to a close, my official weigh-in turned up......ZERO movement from last week.  Now you might think that would make me upset, but NO!  No weight loss this week isn't a tragedy - no weight gain is a success.  Why, you ask?  Because this was the result of Thanksgiving week, and for sure, this could have gone quite badly.  It didn't, which gives me a lot of hope for next week and beyond.

The good thing is that my nutrition seems to be more under control than it has been in a long time, which will help, given that my exercise is a little below normal.  My long run this week was 8 miles on a treadmill due to heavy rain that hit our area on Saturday.  Eight miles isn't really long for me, but I was unusually tired (and for a treadmill, usually bored).  It wasn't until after I finished the entire run (and a two mile walk) that I got undressed and noticed the venipunture site from where I gave blood on Thursday.  For some reason, I always forget that my first long run after donation is just terrible.  This one, comparatively, wasn't actually so bad.  And this morning's run (sunday) was 3 miles at a sub-9:00 pace, which for me, is pretty speedy.  All in all, I'll take what I can get.

So, my official weight is 194.3 pounds as of yesterday (down 0.1 from last week), so about 4 1/2 pounds to go in the next three and a half weeks.  I can do this. 

Thought of the day: I went to see the movie Fury last night - the latest in what seems to be a string of books and movies that I've watched about WW II.  It's not intentional, but I just keep tripping across these items.  It's a period in our lives that I never studied much, as we always ran out of time in history class to get into the near-modern times other than current events, so the 50s and 60s are also a bit lost to me.  I'm reading a book about Eisenhower which has been eye-opening, and has connected elements of recent history that have always seemed disjointed to me.  I think it's a good project to understand from where we have most recently come, not just where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment