Sunday, January 27, 2019

First Race of the Season

Today was my first running race of the season.

I say first because I have signed up for many many races this year already.  I have been very lucky in getting into race lotteries, or signing up on time for races, and not getting locked out.  As a result, I think I'm already planned for about 6 half marathons, 2 triathlons, and one cross-country run that frankly, scares me.

I went into this mornings race with low expectations, and just barely met them.  As I've said before, my weight is up, as is my pace.  Add to that a very hilly course, a little overdressing for the weather, and a series of issues I'm dealing with at work, and the result was a very slow 15K.

How slow?  Well, out of 216 runners, I was 201st.  Of the 42 Men in my age group, I was 40th, and 41 was running with his six year old son.  Yeah, that slow.  For the total run, I finished in just over 1:39, or a 10:37 per mile pace.  That's pretty on top of some recent long runs, but it's got to get better if I have any chance of beating my 70.3 time later this year.

The work thing is a big distraction, and my brain keeps cycling on it over and over.  I finally did speak up about it at work, but some other news keeps my head on only one topic.  I keep telling myself that once this issue is resolved (and it will be), I will get my life back to normal, and be able to train like I want to (including being able to focus better on my nutrition, which is really the culprit here)  Stress, lack of sleep, and slowing times have made my running a sense of pressure and pain, rather than the source of joy that it has been, and I want it to be again. 

For now, I'm noting that I did go out and run a 15K today, which is more than most people did this morning, and with work and hopefully some work relief, this year will turn out to be better than the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment