Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Two weeks down in this year......

So I expected this would be an interesting couple of weeks, and I was totally wrong. 

Two weeks into the new year, and just about all I've done is work, sleep, and (to some extent) suffer.  I shouldn't be surprised - this is how every January works, and it's usually about the 15th (today) when I pick up my head to see how deep a hole I've managed to dig in the start of the year.

This year is no different.  Where I should have run about 40 miles, I've run 13.  Where I wanted to lose a couple of pounds, I'm up about 6.  Where I had hoped to cut back on overtime, I had multiple days of 15-hour shifts, and have worked full days all 4 weekend days this year.   And where I wanted to preserve the good relationship I have with my wife.....well, that's not too bad, actually (she's very forgiving when I don't see her for days, and then when I do, I'm grumpy).

So now I am looking forward.  Why?  Because just like every other year, I expect the next three months to be good for me.  Busy, of course, but some of that in a good way, and in a way that should help, rather than hurt my health.  I'll get back into my workout routine, rev up my training, run a few races (including one this weekend that I'm really not prepared for), and get ready for real race season. 

So far this year, I've lined up a progressive build-up to the Boston Marathon (no, I'm not running that), the NYC 1/2 Marathon, a cross-country 10K in a local Preserve, a 1/2 Ironman in August, and a few other local races, mainly 1/2s and triathlons.  I'm not ready for any of this, but I'm feeling ready to train for the first time in a good long while. 

First steps, get my nutrition back in line - no more convenience store stops, cut the sweets, knock off the extra calories, and go back to healthier options.  Since giving up soda four months ago, I've taken to tea, and for a while there, fruits and vegetables were my staples.  It will take a transition, but I'm headed back into that territory, and back into the outdoors for my workouts.  

It should be a good Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment