Sunday, December 6, 2020

GJ Day 10: Weight Watchers (and some friends from long ago)

I think I've written about this before, but gratitude is sometimes about looking back.  Specifically, back to January 3rd (or so) 1996, when I weighed in at my all time high of 264 pounds.  It was the start of a 'biggest loser' weight loss contest, and even I didn't realize how large I had become.  

Enter a few women I worked with who had decided to join weight watchers (few of them needed it, mind you), and instructed me in the basics of how the program worked.  It was the start of a life transformation for me, and for my wife, that we continue with today.

WW is a great program, that is liveable for the long term, and allows enough flexibility within an eating plan, while providing incentives for changing your eating habits for the better.  At least it was at the time, 'cause I'm still following the old program that I learned back then, even though the program has changed since then.  

That said, it's still up to the person to execute well, and pay attention to what's going on nutritionally.  the program served me well for years, but I can tell when I've stopped focusing on it, and when I've gone back to the discipline.  My wife, who is much more disciplined than I am, has stayed faithful to the guidelines, and I'm sure that if you compared my weight fluctuations to hers over the years, it would show.

WW gave me a new lease on life, that enabled me to engage in other facets that would not have been available.  I don't think I would be the runner that I am, or have the energy that I do, without having found a nutrition program that worked for me.  Indeed, I would likely be plagued by health issues today, like diabetes or heart disease, that I've managed to stave off because I got my nutrition and exercise under control back then.  

And for that,  I am very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment