Thursday, November 10, 2011

A typical guy?

Commitment.  It's a word from which many guys recoil in horror.  That's never been me - I'm more of the type who will jump into something and then find out what's required.  That's the approach that got me involved in Scouting, sent me overseas for five years, and introduced me to the fine arts in my younger years, and all of that worked out great

So why am I suddenly reluctant to commit to anything, even things that (I think) I want to do?  I'm not signing up for races in advance, I'm resisting travel to see my team in different places; I can't even seem to get myself to sign up for Scout activities that I KNOW I'm going to do!  In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I'm waiting / hoping / worried that something else is going to come along that is more important or urgent.  Maybe I don't want to make a commitment for fear that I'll have to break it; that's not an unrealistic scenario at present. 

I suppose that I just need to accept that I'm taking a risk of disappointing myself or others if I need to cancel on something, whether it's a marathon in Florida, or a campout, or even just a group workout.  It won't be the end of the world, and chances are the others may not even notice my absence.  As the saying goes: You would care less about what people thought about you, if you realized how rarely they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment