Sunday, November 20, 2011

Jack of all Trades, Master of None?

That title saying was one of my dad's, and I heard it all the time.  I was over-involved in high school, participating in band, drama, student government, Boy Scouts, all while working to get good grades and working in a part time job (and 2 full-time jobs in the summers).  College was no different, with student government, a fraternity, honors program projects, and again, a part-time job during the school year.  Here I even tried to have a social life.....

Flash forward 20 years or so, and I'm no different; only my perspective has changed.  I've got a more-than-full time job, act as the Cubmaster and a den leader for my local Cub Scouts, and maintain a fairly thorough training schedule for my marathons and my increasing interest in triathlons (plus a nibbling thought about ultra-marathons).  I also like to spend time with my wife and sons, so my time seems to be completely filled, yet somehow everything has to get done. 

Now back to the title quote: Am I really mastering any of the things I do?  My job is going very well, and I've achieved a position that exceeds my expectations at a (relatively) young age.  That said, I could do my job better if I focused harder to learn more.   I'm proud of the work that I've done in Cub Scouts, and I'm putting my pack on a much more solid footing than it seemed to have, but there are times when events are 'thrown together' near the last minutes.  Similarly, I could spend more time in my training, by running longer or cross-training more often, but to do that would be to sacrifice even more time from my family, or to outright drop one of the other roles that I play.  Those are tough decisions, and for me, it's a huge balancing act between all of the competing interests. 

Not that every one of those communities necessarily wants ME, but they do want the things that I do for them, and I enjoy doing them and being a part of the community.  (Well, the running community could do without me - they probably don't realize I exist, but that's much more for me than anyone else).  I could drop all but one and focus on it, and probably become a great master, but I think that would leave too many holes in my life to work well.  I may not be perfectly happy being pulled in all directions at once, but my guess is that I'd be a whole lot less happy with less balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment