Sunday, November 20, 2011

OK, I'm in (over my head?)

If you read my last post, you may know that I was on the fence about running an upcoming marathon in February. Well, someone mentioned to me that we regret more the things we don't do than the things we do, so I bit the bullet and committed. Now that I'm signed up, I wonder why I ever hesitated.

The race in question is the National Marathon to end Breast Cancer, a.k.a. the 26.2 with Donna.  This race is being heavily promoted by a number of podcasters that I listen to, including Kevin Gwin (The Extra Mile Podcast), Adam Tinkoff and Eddie Marathon (Slow Runner's Club) and Chris Russell of Run Run Live.  Many of them are attending, and frankly, I'm looking forward to a chance of meeting them, along with some other running legends, like Jeff Galloway, Bart Yasso, and even Joan Benoit Samuelson. 

I'm not going to try to set a PR at this event; I think the conditions are going to be too rough for that.  My training will all be in winter weather, running the hills of Dutchess County NY, and the race will be in Florida on a flat course.  That may sound better, but a flat course demands a lot out of your calves that hills do not.  If training goes really well, and the conditions are ideal, I might go for it, but more likely this will be a training marathon....

for my next one, which will hopefully be in May.  I'm certainly not signing up for it until after the Donna race, but if all goes well, I'll toe the line at the NJ Marathon again, and try to beat my 2011 time by at least 5 minutes (setting a PR in the process). 

Of course, this all hinges on having enough time to train properly, and time is a luxury I don't have (more on that next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment