Sunday, December 19, 2010

Russell's Rules of Running (Part 1)

Over the years, I've developed a series of rules that I like to follow when running, and I'll share these with you over time.  To understand some of these, you need to also understand that I am a slow, poor runner most of the time, and the idea of extra efforts is not something that I embrace. 

#1: When running outside, look for roads that have words like 'hill', 'scenic', 'vista', or 'view'.  Avoid these roads at all costs; you might think a scenic view would be a great motivator, but the climb will be enough to break you.  I will run 5 miles out of my way if that's what it takes.

#2: Dogs are great for running, and I agree.  Nothing gets me running better than being chased by an angry dog. (Many runners swear by their dogs, I typically swear at them,)

#3: If you see roads containing words like 'valley', 'ravine', 'gulch', or 'ditch', refer to rule #1.  These roads feel great, but typically only for the first half.  Remember, what goes down, has to come back up.

#4: Wear reflective gear when running in low light.  Most people say this for safety, and it's not a bad idea.  More importantly though, drivers will pay attention to the reflections, and not notice how terrible I look in spandex tights.

#5: Always run against traffic, and pay really close attention to cars as they approach.  You never know when the next car might have a driver as bad as you are.

I hope your running is going well, and that your hill detours are short.  Enjoy the winter running, and be safe.  Run strong, and be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment