Monday, December 27, 2010

Means to an End



One of the things I love about running is the general level of cardiovascular fitness it provides.  This Christmas Eve, my sons and I went hiking up a local hill l (my wife REALLY needed to get them out of the house).  I remember hiking this same trail with my wife many years ago, when I was just getting started on a real exercise routine, and was about 40 pounds heavier than I am today.  Back then, I struggled through much of the hike, taking frequent breaks to catch my breath and get my pulse to slow down.  I was constantly waiting to reach the top, so that the torturous climb would end.

This time was much different.  Yes, we were going at a slower speed (my 8-year old is not as fast as my wife), but this time, the hike was no problem.  I was ready to power up the hill, and looked forward to the steep sections and the areas where we had to climb the rocks.  I was full of energy, felt strong, and ready to take on anything.  And this was all after a 7-mile tempo run earlier in the day!

It wasn't a unique feeling, either.  I realized that life after our return to the US is a lot different than before we left.  I'm remarkably more fit, more energetic, and just feel healthier than I have before.  I'm not younger than I was, but I have been doing distance running for years now.  Combined with a good diet, my weight is down and my fitness levels are up, and as I head for a milestone birthday, I'm feeling at my best. 

If there was one incentive I could hang in front of someone to get them to start exercising - this would be it.  The goal it not always about the running, swimming, walking, or cycling in itself.  We won't all run races (or want to). Those who do participate in races won't often win (I don't).   But the general feeling of wellness and vitality that comes from exercise and a good diet is the greatest feeling of all.

A new year is coming - take the opportunity to get out and get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment