Friday, December 31, 2010

The end of one year......

It's New Year's Eve, and time to reflect on this year just past.

For me, it was a pretty good year for running.  I managed two marathons, setting a PR in the first one, and really enjoying the second.  I had set a goal of running 1800 miles this year (far exceeding any previous year) and finished 3 miles this morning to close out at 1881 miles (not a round number, but a palindrome, which is more fun). 

That's just a number, though.  Some people will think of that as a fairly low total, while others might think they would need years of running to run that much.  Much more important than the numbers are the facts that 1) I enjoyed my running throughout the year, 2) I managed to continue my running through a transition back into the US from five years overseas, and 3) I'm ready to start 2011 and make it another great year.

On the downside, I didn't manage to keep my weight contained for the year, and gained a little more than 5 pounds.  It could have been worse, but could have been better, too.  My diet program works really well when I am consistent, but I don't seem to succeed when throwing my plan out the window like I did this year.  Again, though, I'm looking forward to the start of a new year, and a chance to lose those 5 pounds and more.  I'm starting by eliminating cookies from my diet for a few months - they are a frequent source of trouble for me.

As you look back on your year, and forward to 2011, look for the elements of the year that worked well for you, boosted your motivation and got you excited about exercise and fitness.  Capitalize on those, and find ways to bring more of them into your routine.  It'll help to keep you active and enthused, and keep you moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment