Friday, November 27, 2020

Gratitude Journal (GJ) Day 2: My job

 No, before you ask, these are in no particular order, other than what comes to mind when I sit down to write.

I'm not sure how many people would list their job as something they are grateful for, except for maybe those for whom their job is their lifeline.  Mine has always been more than that, even though at times (like now) I wonder whether it is what I am supposed to be doing.

But my job and my career have been good to me.  They helped solidify my relationship with my wife, took me around the world (literally, to six of the continents!) and gave me the financial stability that I desired for many years.  I have also learned a lot about myself and about other people, other perspectives, other cultures and other ways of thinking about issues, in a way that I would never have done before.

That said, it's not always pleasant, it's not always easy, and it's frequently frustrating.  I deal with issues of ambition, disappointment, frustration, and uncertainty all the time.  But even those create learning experiences, including learning about myself and my own motivations.  

There's no telling how long I have left in this career, but I'm hoping that I can take what I have learned, and apply it in new ways, to new organizations, or even to go into teaching the next generation (or so), but in looking back, I have to appreciate where a summer internship has taken me.

No comments:

Post a Comment