Sunday, November 29, 2020

Gratitude journal - Day 4 (GJ4): Boy Scouts

These days may not be the best time to discuss Scouting in a positive light.  This has been a rough year for Scouting given the number of negative headlines in the press, lawsuits (legitimate and otherwise) and the bankruptcy of the National Unit.   

But I'm still a believer, and I'm still a fan.  Scouting had enormous impacts on me and my sons, and continues to be a phenomenal program for building character, discipline, honor, and skills within our children.  I say children, not just boys, because Scouting evolves, and in my town, the first female Eagle Scouts will be celebrated in just a few months, having completed the same courses as the boys who precede them.

Through my involvement, I have seen Scouting's effects on teenagers, helping them to mature, accept responsibility, become leaders, and become better citizens.  There have been several Scouts whose lives I have seen turned in such a positive direction, largely due to the positive male role models that they encounter through the program.  

I sincerely hope that Scouting will emerge from it's current troubles, that the safety protocols put in place years ago will continue to function to protect our scouts, and that the Scouting program continues to grow and, filling the voids in some teens' lives, and enriching many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment