Sunday, March 3, 2019

Race behind me, Lent ahead

I had my third race of the season today, and by far the longest.  In fact, this was the longest run I've had since my marathon last May.  At 15.5 miles (25K), it was more than 2 miles longer than my longest runs, and those last two miles were not enjoyable.  At least my next run (NYC 1/2 Marathon) in two weeks will be mercifully shorter.

And this week starts Lent.  This is my annual nutritional restart, where I decide to act more healthily in both exercise and nutrition.  This year, I'm trying a more holistic change, addressing physical, spiritual, and vocational issues that I've had for a long time. 

This is going to involve a lot of letting go.  Letting go of old assumptions, letting go of old grievances, letting go of some aspirations (which is going to hurt the most, I think), and embracing new value systems - about my work, my life, and my worth. 

I'm looking forward to it, actually, but only hope that I can fully engage in this adjustment period.  After many years of successful focus, I've had mixed results for the past few years.  My most significant concern is that I'm trying to do too much at once; that often does not work out well.  But if I can just make a few adjustments to my habits, great things can happen.

40 days is a long time, but it's not too long to manage through.

No comments:

Post a Comment