Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Mid-may update

Well, it's been two weeks since I said goodbye to April and hello to May.  It's been a productive couple of weeks, and I've felt some energy returning, although my running has been more miss than hit.  This past weekend, I  know I overdid it, doing Yoga on Friday night, a 30-mile bike ride on Saturday followed by two hours of chopping wood, and then a 14-mile hilly run on Sunday.  By Sunday night, I was exhausted. 

That clearly bled into the start of the week, as my Tuesday speedwork at the track was anything but.  Bringing up the rear of the pack, my third set of 800s would be my last attempt at going fast, and I spent the rest of the session just trying to turn in some decent pace.  Don't think I succeeded.

So on Wednesday, I went back to the track for redemption.  I ran the 5K course around the school, and then a few laps of the track to get in 5 miles.  I did focus on speed, so I was fast, but my breathing was harder than it should have been.  I've clearly lost both speed and fitness over the past several months, so that will be part of my summer work.

I wish my diet was even that consistent, though.  I think I've had about 5 days of the past 18 that really worked well.  Funny thing - I know why those days worked well, and why lots of others haven't, but I don't seem to be able to control my actions as much as I used to.  I know there's a lot of stuff going around in my head that's keeping me from doing the right thing, but it should be easier than this.

But then again, my concerns are slight compared to what many others are going through.  I won't go into details but a few people close to me are dealing with real problems, not the kind of superficial things that I seem to obsess over.  I am very grateful for the blessings that I have, and I hope and pray for others near me to be healthy, hopeful and peaceful.  We can all use a little more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment