Sunday, April 15, 2012

Training Update - April 15th

Today was a tough day, but really, it caps off a tough couple of weeks, both physically and mentally.  Today, though, was my last long run before the NJ marathon which kicks off in three weeks.  22 miles on really flat ground to train for the terrain.  After my performance, I know that I'll finish the marathon in a decent time, but more likely 4:35 than 4:20.  Hey, that's okay - I am undertrained for this race, and have been so since taking a new job at my company.

On the other side of fitness, I've started doing P90X, the overall fitness and buff-building program.  I've only done a few sessions, and those only at half-seriousness, as I would prefer to wait until marathon training is done before engaging in something that promises to make me sore every day.  I did do a session of Plyometrics, and was still sore four days later. 

One neat thing is that one of my sons, Tim, is actually doing the P90X workouts with me.  Yes, he's doing very light or no weights, and he sits out the exercises he doesn't want to do.  And yes, he's going to get bored and stop very quickly, but for the moment, I have his attention, and we've found another thing we like to do together.  He is also a runner, like Mom and me, and has a very curious and inventive mind (hence my expectation of his boredom).  I have more adult conversations with him than with many of the real adults in my life.

So, three weeks to go, wrap up this marathon, do 90 days of a new exercise to help drop that 15 pounds I need to drop (from 198 to 183 if you're keeping track), and then I'll start training for something seriously stupid, like the Chowda Challenge.

A quick shout out to Chris Russell of  the RunRunLive Podcast for using Tim's submission in this weeks episode.  Chris is running the Boston Marathon this Monday, after a long absence due to injury.  He DNF'd at his first race but plans to do an Ironman Triathlon later this year. Me?  I think he's nuts, but he's my kind of nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment