Monday, September 2, 2019

A (somewhat) eventful month

When last we tuned in, I was struggling with an injury, one that I was completely sure was going to sideline me for weeks.  And this happened right when I was about to take a vacation from work for two weeks (something I haven't done in 25 years), which was supposed to be a key time for me to train hard, do some epic stuff like hike the Appalachian trail for a few days, and walk a marathon distance.  All of that looked like it was out of the question, and I was worried about making it to the starting line of my Half-Ironman.  ACK!

Well, part of all of that came true.  I am injured, and remain so today.  The MRI showed no break, no stress fracture, but a 'stress reaction' and a ganglion cyst at a joint between my toes. that I can deal with later  Net net - my foot hurt, but if I wear my orthotics, (which I never do) and train sensibly only to the level I need, I would be okay.  So...hiking on the AT was out (stepping on rocks felt like being stabbed in the foot), and my heavy training would have to be cut back a bit, but with some care, I would make it to race day. 

That was then - this is now.  I took my vacation and turned it into a staycation.  Relaxed at home, but did some training, some work around the house (OK, painted one side of the house), and was still able to get in my near-marathon walk, although with some plan changes.  Got in 25 miles, and oh, boy, the foot hurt after that, but I got through. 

After another month of training, last week, I stepped up to the incoming tide in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, and ran my 2nd 70.3 Half-Ironman, this time with my wife well ahead of me in the race.  In short, despite choppy ocean waters, worry about foot pain and a good bit of under-training, I finished over a minute better than the same race two years ago.  All of the benefit was on the bike, and a little bit in transition, as both my swim and run were longer than last time.  (The swim was 5 minutes longer than last time, but that's understandable given the 2'-5' waves - no one was happy about those!)

In the last week, I've reverse tapered, and today I ran.a 9-miler with a big hill which actually was a bit too much for me :-).  But I did get in a swim and a couple of short, slow-ish bike rides, so my legs are starting to come underneath me.  In another couple of weeks, I'll be better, which is good because my wife has her eyes set on another triathlon (Olympic distance, thank goodness) in a few weeks.

So what did I learn?  First, as Douglas Adams reminds us: Don't Panic.  Yes, I was injured, and yes, that might mean I was out of.a race, but it would not have been the worst thing to happen to me.  Second: Talk to your Doctor.  I've gone to my podiatrist a few times, so he knows me and my priorities.  He knew not to tell me not to run, but rather, he worked to figure out a way to let me run.  Third: Listen to your Doctor.  He'd been telling me to use my orthotics, but it turns out I was using them wrong, which made them uncomfortable, so I didn't use them.  Once he told me the right way, they're actually perfectly comfortable for running.

Finally: I'm stronger than I give myself credit for.  Working a massive-overtime job (60 hours/week normally, 100 hours/week once a quarter), and doing my civic duties, I don't have nearly as much time to train as others do, and I need it, 'cause I have no talent, nor do I have an athlete's body.  So yes, I'm at the back of the pack (back 15%), and yes, I'm really slow, and I have no chance to ever be on a podium, even in my age group in a small race, unless I can outlast everyone and just not die....like, ever.  [I have a vision of only coming in 4th in the 80-89 age bracket in a race.]

But I do, and I do well.  And if I can inspire others, then I also do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment