Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017 - Reflections

And so we come to the end of another year.  It's almost New Year's eve, but I've been reflecting today on the year now ending, and comparing the year to my goals set about 360 days ago.  Its interesting how the year turned out to be entirely different than I expected, but in a few good ways.  Some highlights:
  • I finished my "run every road in town" project, and even got written up in a local magazine, complete with glossy photo!
  • I managed to get myself to speak at a conference for the Institute of Management Accountants, and travelled to Denver for it.  Lots of work to prepare, but also lots of fun to do.
    • While there, I got free tickets very suddenly to a Colorado Rockies game!
  • I ran my first half-Ironman triathlon.  I say my first, but I'm not 100% sure I'll ever do another one (remember when I ran my 'first' ultramarathon)?
  • I was on NPR!  Lots of friends heard me on the NPR Sunday Puzzle, where I did okay as well!  
  • I visited two new states, including Colorado and Montana, where we took our summer vacation.  Water is cold in Montana all the time.......
Also on the plus list, my son finished his Eagle Scout, and was accepted into the college he wanted, so he is in good shape, and my other son continued to grow into his own, taking on more challenges in school.  My wife is doing well, and has recovered from some minor running injuries, and is ready to take on 2018.

On the down side:
  • I wasn't able to run a marathon for the 2nd year in a row.  Bad timing and lots of workload got in the way, and I wasn't focused enough (I did do that half-Ironman, though, so it's really not all bad!)
  • I did not lose some weight that I had promised myself and my doctor that I would do, nor have I gotten my strength training, nutrition, or flexibility where I want them (think those are related?)
  • My home management (both familial and physical) still isn't in the groove I need and want.  Maybe it never will be......

I have been able to remain active in my community, at least partially, with Election, Scouts and church and (to a far lesser extent) running club, but candidly, work has me spread so thin that I haven't fully participated in any of those. 

Now that it's time to set objectives for next year, one of them is going to be achieving a better work-life balance, finding time and energy to do the things I want to.  We'll see how that works out, and I'll share my goals for next year (well, at least some of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment