Friday, December 2, 2011

Training update December 2nd, 2011

I had a great week of training recently.  Unfortunately, that was two weeks ago.  A fast week on my two base and tempo runs, followed by an 18 miler that went really well, as I think I finally have my hydration / nutrition down, as well as my run / walk tempo (a minute walk about every two miles seems okay to me). 

Then, Thanksgiving happened, along with a few other challenges.  Two days of travel (without a good running route or treadmill available), the food fiesta that is the last Thursday of November, followed by a week of not-so-good on the dietary front (OK - that should be "really-really-bad" on the dietary front). 

Add to that a bit of stress that came from some bad lab results.  I had a few chest pains (which I had already determined to be muscular) but for which my doctor wanted additional tests.  One of them came back with a poor reading, which tripped three other rounds of blood tests plus a treadmill stress test, .  Net is that I appear to be fine, but I was more than a bit thrown when one of the blood tests indicated cardiac problems, but these were disproven by a followup. 

So I'm back to running normally, albeit at a slower pace, thanks to the extra November pounds and a couple of days off.  My body likes to run as often as possible, so even a few days off brings on extra aches and pains when I finally get back to the roads.  By this Sunday's 20 miler, I should feel much more lubricated, and hopefully everything will work smoothly. 

I'm now signed up for the 26.2 with Donna (National Marathon to end Breast Cancer) and I'm planning to register for the New Jersey Marathon.  I'm also registered for the Pawling Triathlon in June, and I'll probably do the Putnam Tri again this year.  I'm hoping to 1) training in the pool over the winter and 2) run an Olympic distance Tri in 2012, along with three marathons.  If my heart can survive all of that, plus the usual battery of 5-milers, 5Ks, and a half or two, it should survive anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment