Sunday, March 27, 2011

"What's new?"

People ask me all the time "What's new?" "What's happening?"  " How are things going?".  I recognize that for most people this is just small talk - a way of saying hi, or just starting conversation.  For some of my friends and colleagues, though, it's a serious question, but one that I've taken to ignoring so much in casual conversation, I don't really think about the answer.  After all, who would be interested in my life (especially that my main life adventures ended six months ago)

I thought of this the other day, when a friend I hadn't seen in several weeks asked me what was new.  When I gave my standard answer ("Really nothing much, how about with you?") he seemed surprised.  It was a real question, and he was really interested, and didn't quite understand how nothing could be new in two months.  And when I really thought about it - there's a lot going on in my life!  First, I've just taken over as the Cubmaster for the local Cub Scout pack.  I'm running a half-marathon next week, and a full marathon in just over a month, and doing all of the training for that. I've taken a new job in my company and finally feel like I understand what I'm doing, and on top of all that, I turn 40 next week (something my friend didn't realize). Sure, there are other issues I am concerned about - my father's health isn't great, and I worry about him and my mom; one of my sons is struggling with the pace of learning in school, so we're thinking about moving him to a new school; I'm wrestling with some big questions of religion and my place in society / my community.

I might not share all of this with my friend, or anyone else fully when they ask how I am, but it strikes me how little I think others are interested in me as a person.  I do subscribe to the adage "You would care less about what people think of you if you realized how rarely they do", and I think we are living in a world where ego(t)ism is a bit out of control with the pervasiveness of Facebook, Twitter, and blogs (this one included).  That said, there are those in my life to whom I should not give short shrift when express some interest.  I am interested in what's going on in the lives of my friends, so why is it so odd they might be interested in mine?  As I am examining many of my habits and behaviors this Lenten season, this is another one that I think I should explore a bit.  I'm sure the world isn't interested in what's on my plate, but I can accept that a few people close to me could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment