Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Training Update - Mid-February

For those of you who don't know, I'm training to run the New Jersey Marathon on May 1st, and I've spent the last five weeks training (and complaining), mainly on the treadmill in my basement.  Overall, it's been okay training, but I've gotten tired of the lack of change of scenery, I've watched about as many movies as I can (as well as Law and Order - it's ALWAYS on some channel), and I'm ready to bust out.

Which I did this past weekend.  The outside temperature finally rose, without an associated rise in rain, snow, or my body temperature (illness has played a big role this January).  I took full advantage, and went out for my long run on Saturday to enjoy great weather.  What I had forgotten is that my last long run outside was only about 10 miles, while this week's run was a full 18.  When I added the hills on the course I chose, it turned into a long, slow run, with (so far) three days of quad soreness.  I really have to learn to crank up the elevation on the treadmill a lot more than I do today.

That said, I'm still a week ahead of my training plan, so I have some room for things to fall apart for a week.  I'm on a cutback week, so the next few days should be more relaxing and enjoyable.  I'm also really trying not to focus on my time performance in this race, but to really focus on enjoying the experience.  It helps that I've gotten almost my whole family to join me on this weekend, and to do a 3-mile run / walk on the day before the marathon. I don't think we've ever done an athletic event before, and some of them not in many years, so this should be a really enjoyable weekend for everyone. 

Lastly, I'm trying out my media chops - In addition to this blog, I've tried to host a podcast or two, and I'm writing articles for my local running club.  I'm not sure that I have the time or the talent required to do any of this, but I'm stretching my wings to see how well I can fly.    If you're reading this, someday you may be able to count yourself as one of the early victims of my prose.

Run strong, and love what you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment